Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Make yourself into a Na'vi

This project is going to be fun! It may be a little advanced for some of you, but that's o.k. Take your time and do what you can. To help out, I've given you a series of tutorial videos to help you out. Some of the techniques in these videos will be new to you, but that's the point. You're going to LOVE the liquify tool! :)

You are going to turn yourself into a Na'vi from the movie Avatar! This assignment will truly show you the power of photoshop and what can be done to transform a completely normal photograph into a fantasy portrait!

Don't get overwhelmed. I basically just want to introduce you to a few more photoshop tools and changing colors with the hue/saturation adjustment layers. Each tutorial is about 10 minutes each, so watch through them first to see what's going on. Then, go back and try to follow along.

I will have a camera in class for us to take your picture. Use that picture (or a high-resolution photo you already have) to create your Na'vi portrait. There are other tutorials besides the ones I list here on creating Na'vi portraits, so feel free to watch those tutorials and use those techniques as well!

I'm a firm believer in self-directed learning and I LOVE watching tutorials to learn new design techniques. Get in the habit of watching a few each week and you'll be a better designer in no time flat!

Here are the tutorials I've found for you:


Take your time! You will have tonight's class and Monday's class to work on these. I will assess your progress on Monday evening to see if you need extra time or not. If you are working hard but still need more time, I'll extend the deadline. If you goof off, I won't. Don't let your fellow students down!

HOMEWORK:
• Watch the tutorials above (and others you may find)
• Transform yourself into a Na'vi

No comments:

Post a Comment